Privacy Collection Notification
ChoiceOne (“we, “our, “us”) is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) and the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act). This means that we have to have policies and procedures in place to protect the personal information that we collect about you. Our privacy collection statement reflects these policies and procedures.
We only collect information that is reasonably necessary for the proper performance of our activities or functions.
Our website uses ‘cookies’, a Google analytics service. Google uses this information to evaluate website use, compile reports on website activity and internet usage. If you browse our website, we do not collect information that identifies you personally, though we may collect information related to your visit to our website.
We may decline to collect unsolicited personal information from or about you and take steps to purge it from our systems.
What your personal information is
Personal information is any information or an opinion (whether true or not) about you. It may range from the very sensitive (e.g. medical history or condition) to the everyday (e.g. address and phone number). It would include the opinions of others about your work performance (whether true or not), your work experience and qualifications, aptitude test results and other information obtained by us in connection with your possible work placements. Personal information includes sensitive information.
What sensitive information is
Sensitive information is a special category of personal information. It is information or opinion about your:
- racial or ethnic origin;
- political opinion;
- membership of a political association or religious beliefs, affiliations or philosophical beliefs;
- membership of a professional or trade association or membership of a trade union;
- sexual preferences or practices;
- criminal record;
- health or disability (at any time);
- expressed wishes about the future provision of health services.
It includes personal information collected to provide a health service.
Sensitive information can, in most cases, only be disclosed with your consent.
Who will be collecting your personal and sensitive information
Your personal information will be collected by ChoiceOne for its own use and on behalf of other members of the ChoiceOne Group who might require access to your personal information in connection with your work placements or to pursue at least one of our functions.
From time to time, we may also be required to collect sensitive information about you in order to provide our services, for example information about your membership of a professional or trade association. We will only collect sensitive information if you consent to its collection and if the sensitive information is reasonably necessary for us to carry out at least one of our functions or activities, or if the APPs otherwise permit such collection.
How your information will be collected
Personal and sensitive information will be collected from you directly when you fill out and submit one of our registration forms or any other information in connection with your application to us for registration.
You may choose to deal with us without giving us any of your personal information, unless the APPs permit otherwise, but if you do so we might not be able to provide you with the assistance that you need.
Personal information about you that we collect from others
We collect personal information about you from other people including referees, previous employers, professional registration authorities, educational institutions, who may be in a position to provide us with information that we may use to assess your suitability to be placed in or continue in positions that you may be offered.
If we reasonably believe that your being in, or remaining in, a position might present a risk to your health and safety or to that of others for whose health or safety we are responsible, we may collect relevant personal information (including health information) that will allow us to manage that risk.
Legal requirements for personal information
Some laws such as taxation law, immigration law, laws regulating employment agencies, laws relating to national security, laws relating to professional or trade registration and laws for the protection of certain classes of people (such as children or the elderly) may require that we collect certain types of information (including criminal history and evidence of your right to work) from you that is relevant to the position/s for which you may be applying.
If you do not give us all or part of the information we need
- we may be limited in our ability to locate suitable work for you;
- we may be limited in our ability to place you in work;
- we might decline to represent you in your search for work or put you forward for particular positions.
Your information will be used.
Your personal information may be used in connection with:
- our assessment of your suitability for registration with us;
- the necessary validation (including from appropriate third party sources) of your resume, c.v., nominated references, or stated qualifications, experience, training or abilities. Where we require third party validation we will tell you how we propose to obtain it;
- your actual or possible work placement;
- your performance appraisals;
- any test or assessment (including medical tests and assessments) that you might be required to undergo;
- our assessment of your ongoing performance and prospects;
- our identification of your training needs;
- suggestions we may make to you, whilst you remain registered with us, for further training in connection with work of the type that you are seeking through us;
- any workplace rehabilitation in which you and we are involved;
- our management of any complaint, investigation or inquiry in which you are involved;
- any insurance claim or proposal that requires disclosure of your personal or sensitive information;
- any reference that we may give concerning your work;
- our statutory compliance obligations;
Your personal and sensitive information may be disclosed to
- potential and actual employers and clients of ChoiceOne;
- a person who seeks a reference about you;
- our insurers;
- a professional association or registration body that has a proper interest in the disclosure of your personal and sensitive information;
- a Workers Compensation body;
- our contractors and suppliers – e.g. our I.T. contractors and database designers;
- a parent, guardian, holder of an enduring power of attorney (or like authority) or next of kin whom we may contact in any case in which consent is required or notification is to be given and where it is not practicable to obtain it from or give it directly to you;
- any person with a lawful entitlement to obtain the information.
Disclosure of your personal information to overseas recipients
We ARE NOT likely to disclose your personal information to overseas recipients.
How to contact us
If you wish to contact us about your personal or sensitive information you should contact:
Privacy Co-ordinator ChoiceOne
PO Box 7108 Cloisters Square,
Phone : 08 9215 3888 Fax : 9215 3885